Frequently Asked Questions
Although your doctor is the best source for answering your specific questions about overactive bladder and treatment with DETROL LA, you can find answers to common questions here.
General Information About DETROL LATop
What is DETROL LA?
DETROL LA is a prescription medicine for adults used to treat the following symptoms due to a condition called overactive bladder:
- Having a strong need to urinate with leaking or wetting accidents (urge urinary incontinence)
- Having a strong need to urinate right away (urgency)
- Having to urinate often (frequency)
DETROL LA did not help the symptoms of overactive bladder when studied in children.
How to Get Brand-Name DETROL LATop
How can I ensure that I won’t get switched to a generic substitute?
Here are 3 suggested tips to help make sure you receive brand-name DETROL LA and not a generic:
- At your doctor’s office: Ask your doctor to prescribe brand-name DETROL LA and to indicate “DAW” (Dispense As Written)—or the language used in your state—on all of your DETROL LA prescriptions.
- At your pharmacy’s drop-off: Tell the pharmacist that you want brand-name DETROL LA—and be sure to use the DETROL LA Savings Card. The DETROL LA Savings Card can only be used with brand-name DETROL LA.
- At your pharmacy’s pick-up: Check your pills to be sure they’re brand-name DETROL LA—not the generic—and also check that you’ve saved on your prescription.
What should I do if I receive a generic substitute instead of brand-name DETROL LA?
Talk to your doctor and/or your pharmacist to ask if you should be getting brand-name DETROL LA. For tips on having that conversation, download the Savings Card Tip Sheet.
How do I know if I received brand-name DETROL LA?
Check your pills for the distinctive shape and markings of brand-name DETROL LA.
Saving on DETROL LATop
What is the DETROL LA Savings Card?
The DETROL LA Savings Card allows eligible patients to pay as little as $0 every time they get a 30-day fill of brand-name DETROL LA—and could save up to $1,800 a year. If you have a prescription for brand-name DETROL LA, you can use the card for every fill through December 31, 2023.*
How do I use the DETROL LA Savings Card?
There are 2 ways to use the card immediately. Once you’ve activated your Savings Card, you can either:
- Bring a printed copy of it to the pharmacy
- Show it to your pharmacist on your phone
You can keep this card with you and continue to save on each fill for DETROL LA through December 31, 2023.
Who is eligible to use the DETROL LA Savings Card?
To be eligible to use a DETROL LA Savings Card, you must:
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Not be covered by Medicare, Medicaid, or any other federal or state healthcare programs
To learn the full details of who is eligible, please see the full Terms and Conditions.
How do I get a DETROL LA Savings Card?
To get a Savings Card, register here and then download your card or have it sent to you via mail or email.
If I already have a DETROL LA Savings Card, how can I activate it?
You can activate your Savings Card here.
Can I use the DETROL LA Savings Card on a previously filled prescription?
The DETROL LA Savings Card can only be used for new prescriptions that are filled after you have activated the card.
Does the DETROL LA Savings Card work at nonparticipating pharmacies?
Yes, for reimbursement when using a non-participating pharmacy: Pay for your DETROL LA prescription and mail a copy of the original pharmacy receipt (cash register receipt NOT valid) with product name, date, and amount circled to: DETROL LA Savings Offer, 2250 Perimeter Park Drive, Suite 300, Morrisville, NC 27560. Be sure to include a copy of the front of your DETROL LA Savings Card, your name, and mailing address. Please expect up to 4 to 6 weeks for reimbursement.
Does the DETROL LA Savings Card work through mail-order pharmacies?
Yes, for reimbursement when using the DETROL LA Savings Card through a mail-order pharmacy: Pay for your DETROL LA prescription and mail a copy of the original pharmacy receipt (cash register receipt NOT valid) with product name, date, and amount circled to: DETROL LA Savings Offer, 2250 Perimeter Park Drive, Suite 300, Morrisville, NC 27560. Be sure to include a copy of the front of your DETROL LA Savings Card, your name, and mailing address. Please expect up to 4 to 6 weeks for reimbursement.
Taking DETROL LATop
What should I tell my doctor before taking DETROL LA?
Before starting DETROL LA, tell your doctor about all of your medical conditions, including if you:
- Have any stomach or intestinal problems
- Have trouble emptying your bladder or you have a weak urine stream
- Have an eye problem called narrow-angle glaucoma
- Have liver problems
- Have kidney problems
- Have a condition called myasthenia gravis
- Or any family members have a rare heart condition called QT prolongation (long QT syndrome)
- Are pregnant or trying to become pregnant. It is not known if DETROL LA could harm your unborn baby
- Are breastfeeding. It is not known if DETROL LA passes into your milk and if it can harm your child
Tell your doctor about all the medicines you take, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements. Other drugs can affect how your body handles DETROL LA. Your doctor may use a lower dose of DETROL LA if you are taking
- Certain medicines for fungus or yeast infections such as Nizoral® (ketoconazole), Sporanox® (itraconazole), or Monistat® (miconazole)
- Certain medicines for bacteria infections such as Biaxin® (clarithromycin)
- Certain medicines for treatment of HIV infection such as Norvir® (ritonavir), Invirase® (saquinavir), Reyataz® (atazanavir)
- Sandimmune® (cyclosporine) or Velban® (vinblastine)
Know the medicines you take. Keep a list of them with you to show your doctor or pharmacist each time you get a new medicine.
How should I take DETROL LA?
- Take DETROL LA exactly as prescribed. Your doctor will prescribe the dose that is right for you. Do not change your dose unless told to do so by your doctor
- Take DETROL LA capsules once a day with liquid. Swallow the whole capsule. Tell your doctor if you cannot swallow a capsule
- DETROL LA can be taken with or without food
- Take DETROL LA the same time each day
- If you miss a dose of DETROL LA, begin taking DETROL LA again the next day. Do not take 2 doses of DETROL LA in the same day
- If you took more than your prescribed dose of DETROL LA, call your doctor or poison control center, or go to the hospital emergency room
How should I store my DETROL LA?
- Store DETROL LA at room temperature, 68°– 77°F (20°– 25°C); brief periods permitted between 59°– 86°F (15°– 30°C). Protect from light. Keep in a dry place
- Keep DETROL LA and all medicines out of the reach of children
Safety & Possible Side EffectsTop
Who should not take DETROL LA?
Do not take DETROL LA if:
- You have trouble emptying your bladder (also called "urinary retention")
- Your stomach empties slowly (also called "gastric retention")
- You have an eye problem called "uncontrolled narrow-angle glaucoma"
- You are allergic to DETROL LA or to any of its ingredients.
- You are allergic to TOVIAZ, which contains fesoterodine
What are the possible side effects of DETROL LA?
DETROL LA may cause allergic reactions that may be serious. Symptoms of a serious allergic reaction may include swelling of the face, lips, throat, or tongue. If you experience these symptoms, you should stop taking DETROL LA and get emergency medical help right away.
The most common side effects with DETROL LA are:
- Dry mouth
- Stomach pain
Medicines like DETROL LA can cause blurred vision, dizziness, and drowsiness.
Do not drive, operate machinery, or do other dangerous activities until you know how DETROL LA affects you.
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
These are not all the side effects with DETROL LA. For a complete list, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
About Overactive BladderTop
What is overactive bladder?
Overactive bladder happens when you cannot control your bladder muscle. When the muscle contracts too often or cannot be controlled, you get symptoms of overactive bladder, which are leakage of urine (urge urinary incontinence), needing to urinate right away (urgency), and needing to urinate often (frequency).